personal injury mistakes

Mistakes to Avoid in a Personal Injury Case

An accident can be physically traumatic, but it can also have a significant emotional and financial effect. If you sustained injuries due to someone else’s negligence, you could seek compensation for your losses. However, specific mistakes in handling your personal injury case or lawsuit may limit your potential compensation. At times, certain errors can cause the insurer to deny your claim or lead a court to dismiss your case. Mistakes that appear insignificant initially can have a substantial effect later.

The following suggestions can help you avoid making common mistakes which can hurt your personal injury claim:

Do not delay or neglect to seek medical attention

Neglecting to see a medical professional is a common mistake made by personal injury victims. Any injury that can affect your life should be treated immediately to allow you to recover as fully and rapidly as possible. You will need evidence if you intend to seek damages for your injuries. An insurance company can challenge your claim if you do not have adequate proof of injury or cannot show any effort made on your part to get examined and treated by a medical practitioner.

Do not fail to collect available information, or identify sources who can offer additional details

If you sustained injuries due to a car accident, try to gather as much proof at the crash site as you can. Take pictures of all vehicles involved from various angles, including license plate numbers, scrapes, dents, and other physical damage. If you can, take photos of the road, including posts, signs, vegetation, and structures obstructing the view of any signs as well as potholes, uneven pavement, skid marks, and ditches.

It is important to get the name, phone number, address, and insurance details of the at-fault motorist and the collision location. If the police are called, they will include these details in their report. Also, get the names, phone numbers, and addresses of any witnesses to the accident.

Hire a lawyer in the initial stages of the process

Many people erroneously do not hire a personal injury lawyer as soon as they understand that they have a personal injury claim on hand, i.e., they have suffered significant injuries due to the recklessness of another, for which they deserve compensation. A personal injury lawyer can make sure that all required proof is collected and assessed, negotiate with insurers and lawyers representing the defendant, and create a strong foundation for a favorable outcome in your personal injury lawsuit.

Be mindful of what you sign and whom you talk to

It is important not to speak to anyone but your lawyer about your personal injury lawsuit, besides exchanging information with the other motorist and giving your insurance and license details to police officers. Even if you feel like you may be partially to blame for the crash, do not admit any degree of fault to anyone, at the crash site or later on. Your personal injury lawyer can divulge that information at the right time, if and when required.

Do not provide a statement to an insurer or sign any authorization or release to obtain health records or other details about you without first consulting your lawyer. Also, do not accept any type of settlement offer without initially consulting a lawyer.

Do not accept the initial settlement offer

If you have a robust case, you may receive a settlement offer from the individual liable for your losses, from their lawyer, or most probably from their insurance company. You may also receive an offer from your own insurer if the person responsible for your injuries is an underinsured or uninsured driver.

While you may want to “get things over with,” resist the tendency to accept the first offer that comes your way. The insurance company’s objective is to pay you as little as they can and not fair compensation for your injuries. Therefore, it is crucial to consult a lawyer who can assess your case’s merits and the potential costs over your lifetime of the injuries that you suffered. You should answer a decisive “no” if the insurance agent pressures you for an immediate response, before giving you time to consult an attorney.

Lastly, avoid discussing your personal injury case on social media.

Entrust your Personal Injury Lawsuit to a Trusted and Reputable Law Firm

At times, personal injury accidents can be minor, with rapid recoveries in mere days or weeks. But such accidents can also be devastating, life-altering events that can have a significant long-term effect on the health and quality of life of the victim. At Stein & Fox Accident Attorneys, we understand how catastrophic it can be when someone you love suffers from serious and permanent injuries.

If you have been in a traumatic accident that left you injured, contact our team to schedule a no-charge consultation. We will assess your claim, address all your concerns, and guide you on the best path forward. Call (770) 961-1700 today for a free initial consultation with a qualified personal injury attorney.

23 replies
  1. Braden Bills
    Braden Bills says:

My friend was injured at work, and he wasn’t compensated by his employer. It makes sense that he would want to get a lawyer to help ensure that he’s properly compensated! I can see how that could cause a lot of problems in the long run.

2. Kristofer Van Wagner
    Kristofer Van Wagner says:

You made an excellent point that it is important for us to hire a personal injury attorney who is well-versed in the field. In doing so, we can be certain that we have the expertise of someone reliable. I will definitely keep this information in mind for future references.

3. Taylor Hicken
    Taylor Hicken says:

You made a good point when you shared that it is great to hire a lawyer who can help to guide you in the process of acquiring a settlement. My friend just mentioned the other day that she is worried about her sister who is dealing with an accident a few months ago which has caused her a lot of losses. I will suggest to her hiring a reliable personal injury lawyer who can help her with her situation.

4. Max Jones
    Max Jones says:

I didn’t know that a lot of people don’t hire a personal injury lawyer as soon as they figure out that they have a personal injury claim. My wife was injured in a car accident when a negligent driver didn’t see her crossing the street. I’ll start looking for a lawyer so my wife can get help during the initial stages of establishing her personal injury case.

5. Adam Golightly
    Adam Golightly says:

My cousin has been was hurt in a car crash, and they would really like to get some help. Getting help from a professional could allow them to be more efficient with the right laws. I liked what you said about how they should hire one at the beginning of the process because it will allow them to be safer.

6. Kristofer Van Wagner
    Kristofer Van Wagner says:

I definitely agree that it is important for us to collect all the available information when we are in a personal injury case. It makes sense as they will be able to guide us and help us properly. I will keep this information in mind.

7. Adam Golightly
    Adam Golightly says:

My brother was in an accident last week where he was side-swiped by a girl that was texted while driving. He would really like to get some help from a professional personal injury attorney because he hurt his wrist, and he wants to be a lot safer. I liked what you said about how he should hire a professional sooner because they can collect more proof to create a stronger foundation for the lawsuit.

8. Adam Golightly
    Adam Golightly says:

My sister has injured during a car accident, and she would really like to get the right kind of compensation in order to be a lot better. She would really like to get some help from a professional in order to make sure that they can pay for her injuries, and be a lot better. It was interesting to learn about how she should only speak with her lawyer about the accident other than handing out insurance, and licenses to the other motorist, and police officers.

9. Mia Evans
    Mia Evans says:

Thanks for helping me understand that we should hire a lawyer to help us when the injury can affect our life after the accident. I will share this information with a friend of mine just to be prepared because he has been in an accident this afternoon while on his way home. He is still being checked at the hospital, but it is best to be prepared to filing claims for his benefit.

10. Braden Bills
    Braden Bills says:

I was injured in a car accident, and I’m not sure what to do about it. It makes sense that getting a lawyer would be a good idea. That seems like a great way to ensure that I say the right things.

11. Adam Golightly
    Adam Golightly says:

My cousin has been thinking about getting a personal injury lawyer to help with her case because she was injured in a car accident. She would really like to get some help from a professional with the right kind of case in order to be better. It was interesting to learn about how she should consult her lawyer before accepting any type of settlement with the right kind of license, and insurance.

12. Adam Golightly
    Adam Golightly says:

My kids were playing with the neighbors yesterday, and while they normally keep their dog inside he got out, and bit my son. I would really like to talk to a personal lawyer to see if we can get any compensation for the hospital visit. Thanks for explaining how they will help build a stronger foundation for the claim by getting the right kind of proof, and negotiation in order to be safer.

13. Kristofer Van Wagner
    Kristofer Van Wagner says:

I do agree that when looking for a personal injury attorney, it is important that we consider hiring someone certified and qualified. It makes sense as they are skilled and experienced. I will definitely be more mindful in the event I am looking for a truck injury attorney.

14. Adam Golightly
    Adam Golightly says:

My cousin has been thinking about getting an attorney to help her with her personal injury case. She would really like to get some help from a professional in order to be a lot safer. I’ll be sure to tell her about how she shouldn’t accept the initial settlement offer.

15. Eli Richardson
    Eli Richardson says:

I’m glad you talked about the importance of hiring a lawyer after your accident. Recently, one of my cousins got involved in a car accident and is still recovering from it. I believe my cousin should get his rightful compensation, so I’ll be sure to suggest he looks for a lawyer’s advice. Thanks for the information on personal injury cases and how to handle one.

16. Mia Evans
    Mia Evans says:

Thanks for pointing out that we should speak to the lawyer only during the personal injury lawsuit. I will share this tip with my sister now that she is looking for a law firm where she can hire a lawyer from. It’s because of the accident she had on her way home this evening when a drunk driver was swerving on the road.

17. Mia Evans
    Mia Evans says:

Thanks for pointing out that hiring a personal injury attorney early on will ensure that all the necessary evidence will be gathered for your proof of the incident. I guess I will hire one tomorrow to help me file for claims after I hit the pole this evening. It happened because my headlights suddenly got broken while I was driving home, and I am just lucky that I was driving slowly during that time.

18. John Carston
    John Carston says:

It helped when you mentioned that you must be cautious in specific mistakes as it may limit your potential compensation. A friend mentioned to me last night that his cousin was involved in a car accident with no fault on his own and asked if I have any idea what is the best option to do. Thanks to this informative article and I’ll be sure to tell him that it will be much better if they consult a personal injury attorney as they can answer all their inquiries and will provide everything they need.

19. Braden Bills
    Braden Bills says:

I’m going to try to do a personal injury case, but I’m not sure how to go about it. It makes sense that I would want to get a professional to help me out with this. They would make things a lot better for me in the long run.

20. John Carston
    John Carston says:

I like that you said that it is important to prevent errors that may cause mistakes in the case. I remember when a friend of mine mentioned to me last night that his cousin was involved in a car accident with no fault on his own and asked if I have any idea what is the best option to do. Thank you for the tips and I’ll be sure to tell him that it will be much better if they consult an auto accident attorney as they can answer all their inquiries and will provide everything they need.

21. John Carston
    John Carston says:

My favorite part of this article is the importance of providing details to prevent misunderstandings. My coworker mentioned to me last night that his cousin was involved in a car accident with no fault on his own and asked if I have any idea what is the best option to do. Thank you for the tips and I’ll be sure to tell him that it will be much better if they consult a personal injury attorney as they can answer all their inquiries and will provide everything they need.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Your email address will not be published.